Castor Oil has several (both traditional and some scientific studies) reported therapeutic properties including: anti-inflammatory, immune system support, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. These benefits are reported for both oral and topical application.
My goal in this experiment is to discover if infusing herbs in Castor Oil, then using these infusions in my blends will improve the efficacy of the blends.
3 one-pint Mason Jars
1 Cup each dried Arnica flowers,
dried Comfrey leaf,
dried St. John's Wort herb
30 ounces Organic Castor Oil
1 Crock Pot
3 Glass Stir Rods
1. Set the crock pot on low heat and add 3 cups of water.
2. Measure out 1 cup of dried Arnica Flowers and place in one of the Mason Jars.
3. Measure out 10 oz Castor Oil and add to the Mason Jar.
4. Use a glass stir rod to mix the oil and herb thoroughly. Make sure all herb material is immersed in the oil.
5. Put the cap on the jar and label the jar with the name of the herb, the oil, and the date.
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 for the Comfrey leaf and St. John's Wort herbs.
7. Place all three jars in the crock pot for 48 hours. Monitor the water temperature in the crock pot to ensure it stays between 100 and 120 degrees F.
8. After 48 hours, remove the jars from the crock pot and allow the herbs to continue to steep in the Castor Oil for one week.
9. At the end of one week, use cheesecloth in a strainer to separate the herbs from the oil with the oil being placed in clean/disinfected mason jars.
10. The infusions are now ready to use in herbal and aromatherapy blends.
11a. Make Trauma Oil by mixing 2 oz each of the Arnica and St. John's Wort infusions with 2 oz of Jojoba that's been infused with Calendula flowers.
10b. Label this jar "Trauma Oil with Castor", list the ingredients and the date.
12a. Place 3 oz of the Trauma Oil in a separate jar and add 3/4 oz of the above Comfrey Leaf infusion and 1/4 oz of Jojoba that's been infused with Comfrey Root.
12b. Label this solution "Super Trauma C Oil with Castor", list the ingredients and the date.
Note: The oil infusions were started on 2-15-19 at 3:00pm CST.